Thursday, January 1, 2009

Recording as Instrument

A few days ago we both got to work on our art at the same time! Kordula was in the kitchen working on a new sculpture, and it looks great so far. Meanwhile in the awesome family room I took one section of the clean guitar track, just a few seconds out of a 12 minute jam, and looped it. Then using Ableton Live I started "playing" the loop at different points within it, and recorded those results.
Today I hope to add virtual drums to this part to make a whole section of the song. This sci-fi cyberscape version of putting a song together is different than recording with a band for sure, but also quite rewarding. Remember, it was a live "real" guitar being recorded, then manipulated in "real" time, digitally. It moves through the air and it sounds good; thus analog becomes digital becomes another form of analog sound.
I can already hear future versions of this in my head; we'll see how it goes!

No comments: